Oh yes it’s that dirty little secret no one is talking about & it is absolutely rife on Instagram. I’m starting to wonder is it becoming the norm? Is this an acceptable thing to do now? Surely not!
MOST of you are probably scratching your head right now and saying to yourselves “surely she doesnt mean people PAY other people to follow them on social media” (FYI yes, yes they do) and there’s a big old bunch of you hiding in your closest thinking “what’s the problem?”.
Boy am i glad you asked.
The problem with buying followers:
- It is FAKE. False advertising. This discredits your business and frankly screams lack of integrity.
- It’s cheating and no one likes a cheater. Seriously…… no one!
- It sends the wrong message. Your telling the world that you need to be popular by any means necessary even paying for it. It’s total BS! Being authentic, working hard at your business or craft & succeeding on merit is the only way. Cutting corners is wrong!
- Newsflash – fake followers will not grow your business. Good luck getting those robots into your business or buying your products. DOH!!
- Why am i even making a list, it’s all so obvious.
Who is paying for followers:
1. Spotting fake followers is easy.Just spend 2 minutes clicking through the list of followers and you will notice profile after profile with 2 or 3 posts a handful of followers but following thousands. They look a bit like this:
2. Comment to followers ratio is the most obvious. I have over 1100 followers and i average a handful of comments on my popular pics so someone with 20k followers for example should have a tone of comments. Obvious fakers have almost no comments.
3. Over night numbers increase. Just click through a few past photo posts and if you see it go from 40 likes to hundreds overnight…… FAKERS!!!!
Why do i care:
My love hate relationship with social media is no secret & i’m the first to admit i get totally sucked into the vanity of it all. It’s an illness i’m sure.
I am passionate about small business and mentoring others to succeed in business. I see my peers comparing themselves to the popular kids & feeling not good enough all the time. This is in the actual grown up world. You’d think i was still in high school.
My message is; don’t get lost in the bullsh!t. There is still a big place in the world for old fashioned values in small business & social media followers is, yes important, but not the be all and end all in the making of successful business.